It is apple picking time!Well, we now have a whole lot of apples to get rid off. The first thing I did was make the girls some apple muffins. This is a very healthy, low-fat, low calorie recipe. I am not a calorie counter nor am I afraid of healthy fats in my food. However, if for some reason you do need to watch your sugar intake or your consumption of fats, this recipe may work for you.
This is a low-sugar recipe. That means, I did not use a lot of sugar; it does not mean that I used artificial sweeteners. Unfortunately, the terms “no-sugar” or “low-sugar” on labels usually means they used some sort of artificial sweetener. That is NOT the case here. I just used about a fourth of the usual amount of sugar a recipe like this would require. That also means it is not a super-sweet muffin, but my six-year-old and 18-month-old still loved it.
to sprout. To learn more about sprouted grain and why it is so good for you read my blog on breads here.Optional: I didn’t add any nuts to this recipe but I think it would taste great with walnuts. Feel free to add some in.
- 4 free-range and/or organic eggs
- 1/2 cup organic turbinado raw cane sugar
- 1 cup organic apple sauce, unsweetened.
- 2 cups sprouted wheat flour (If you can’t find it in your grocery store, you can order it here- Arrowhead Mills Organic Sprouted Wheat Flour, 28 Ounce Bag (Pack of 6))
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground organic cinnamon
- 2 cups grated organic apples
Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners (I greased the liners to keep them from sticking). Beat eggs until fluffy; add sugar gradually. Pour the apple sauce into sugar mixture slowly and beat well. Sift the dry ingredients together. Add to batter in 3 additions and beat well after each. Fold in the apples. Pour into the cupcake liners. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes and turn out onto a cooling rack. Let cool completely and then enjoy.
If you liked this article, please be so kind to share it! Thanks!