A few months back, my husband made a promise to a loved one that he would visit her during the summer. We are on a tight budget, so our options were limited on how to get there. We took a risk and decided not to buy airline tickets early on because we were hoping to catch a Space-A flight out that way. For those of you that are not familiar with Space-A, when you are active-duty military you can catch a military flight if there is room available. That is a big “if,” but it is free. The day before our scheduled departure there were two flights to a city within a few hours of our destination. We were pretty excited and figured we could just Amtrak the rest of the way. However, things did not work out as planned.
The day before the attendant at the terminal had seemed pretty confident that we were going to be able to get on the flight. It was a big commercial plane with a lot of seats. When we arrived at the terminal, we found out that the flight was at full capacity and we would not be able to fly after all. I cannot say that we were not bummed. It was pretty disappointing. We could wait a couple more days and see if another flight opened up, but if nothing panned out, we would not have enough time to drive there. We decided to just hit the road.
Since our final destination is at least 35 hours away in a car, and we have our toddler with us in addition to our seven-year-old, we are not sure how it is going to pan out. Seeing that there were a few Space-A flights with plenty of seats to destinations such as Hawaii, Italy, Germany, and the UK, we were tempted to scrap the original idea, get on the plane, and go to one of these places instead. Since the flight is free–it would certainly keep us within budget. However, a promise was a made and so here we are.
We are leaving this adventure in God’s hands and going as far as He will take us. Stay tuned for more stories of this crazy journey.